Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Piece of my mind

There are many misconceptions about the true meaning of the word hack. Because of a sensationalized media presence in this country, and the Hollywood glamor machine, hack is a bad word, according to the typical man on the street. Hackers are actually the good guys. It's the "crackers" (and lame "script kiddies") that you want to look out for.

Dictionary.com defines hack as: "to devise or modify (a computer program), usually skillfully." Well that's what we are doing to the iPhone: modifying the operating system to allow for greater functionality.I'm not in this to get rich, I'm a far cry away from that. I do it for fun and for expanding the limited horizons of the iPhone.
There is another group of people who loudly call themselves hackers, but aren't. These are people (mainly adolescent males) who get a kick out of breaking into computers and phreaking the phone system. Real hackers call these people ‘crackers’ and want nothing to do with them. Real hackers mostly think crackers are lazy, irresponsible, and not very bright, and object that being able to break security doesn't make you a hacker any more than being able to hotwire cars makes you an automotive engineer. Unfortunately, many journalists and writers have been fooled into using the word ‘hacker’ to describe crackers; this irritates real hackers no end.
The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.

Hackers built the Internet. Hackers made the Unix operating system what it is today. Hackers run Usenet. Hackers make the World Wide Web work. If you are part of this culture, if you have contributed to it and other people in it know who you are and call you a hacker, you're a hacker.

Thanks to all those around the world who have written in to tell me how beneifical this website has been to you and your iPhone or iPod or Mac lol. When I asked for a donation last week I received $10 [ you know who you are ]. Thank you sir. I was able to pay for another month of hosting but thats it.

Thats it for this topic and now a few words on my other passion:

Psycho Buildings are my soft spot. I love unique and different design. For the record, I would never take down a beautiful and old structure. O how we miss you, " The Original Grand Central Station 34th Street NY NY"
Conceptual design of a self-supporting home. The theme is 'Looking Back and Moving Forward' . My theory was as follows- Postoccupancy evaluations offer a systematic process for assessing completed projects, pointing the way to better-performing buildings. Created by me for my firm's summer show:
Some models created by my collegues and friends:


This is a presentation that did not go too well......as far as the traffic flow =)

No comments: