This ability we now have to spawn background tasks means we are one step closer to the 3G soft unlock. We have a clear path to follow, and “all” that remains is the implementation.
A quick summary of the key 3G-unlock-related achievements we’ve made so far:
1. Unsigned code execution on 3G baseband
2. Reverting 01.45 baseband to previous versions
3. Patching of static text (the AT&V demo)
4. Injection of AT routines (the task list demo)
5. Injection of background tasks (this demo)
Now it’s on to overriding the baseband code that enforces the carrier lock.
A high-quality version of the video is available via bittorrent here.
P.S. That “One more thing!” text is being generated by the backgrounded “steve” task at 5-second intervals. The “A0” is the task’s priority.
P.P.S. Remember…don’t update to official 2.2 when it comes out if you ultimately want a 3G soft unlock!