Monday, July 7, 2008

Geohot Posts on Unlocking the 3G iPhone

Geohot has posted some thoughts on unlocking the soon to be released 3G iPhone...

-----
Is it really worth it? I mean, aside from the technical challenge, who will really benefit from it? I hear the phone is sold unlocked for +$80 AUD in Australia. Here, the best way to get a phone is to buy one from AT&T then cancel it, $200+$35+175=$410. You are better off buying an old iPhone off eBay. With locate me, how much will a GPS really help? And here in the states, T-Mobile 3G won't work.

I'm curious as to what amplifier chip the phone uses though. The number one question I got from people about the old iPhone unlock is "Will it work with Verizon?" Now it could be possible.

I still don't know how I'm getting my hands on a device. And if I'm not sure, how will everyone else who wants one get one? Apple, this is really a step backward for the consumer. I'm disappointed in you.
-----

Geohot's efforts and those of the Dev Team are largely responsible for the unlock of the first generation iPhone. Those desperate for an unlock should consider assisting him in acquiring the next generation device!

Read More

No comments: