Monday, July 28, 2008

GeoHot Left An Important Message to the iPhone Community

I see a real problem with the iPhone hacking community. Most of the knowledge about the iPhone is somewhere within the dev team. If the dev team disbands and even a minor update is made which breaks things, all we'll have is a couple closed source tools and random information scattered around the internet. And I've had less and less time to work on this, so I can't keep up anymore.

We used to have an open wiki, actually it hasn't been open for a long time at iphone.fiveforty.net But whoever was managing it allowed it to fall apart, until it finally went offline, destroying information. I *hate* losing information. I wish I'd managed that wiki from the beginning, it's almost too late now.

Now we have the iPhone dev "wiki". According to wikipedia "A wiki is a collection of web pages designed to enable anyone who accesses it to contribute or modify content". So I guess it's not really a wiki.

yiphone.org got 400,000 hits. If even 1% of those people contribute to The iPhone Wiki, it will be so awesome. I already added a lot of information. Anyone can create an account and edit, even the main page. I don't filter content, only spam.

I tried really hard to make the wiki a neutral place for information. The hosting costs are paid for by the ads on this blog; I figured I should do something good with the money, so there will never be ads or donate links on the wiki. I'm trying to pass the knowledge of the iPhone onto the next generation of hackers. Will you help me?


By George Hotz

No comments: