Monday, January 14, 2008

TUAW Responds: MAC Addresses on the iPhone


In the "use at your own risk" department, TUAW reader Carter P. wrote in asking, "Hey, I know this is a lot to ask, but would it be possible for you to build me a simple application? All I would like the app to do is to spoof a MAC address on my iPhone." MAC addresses are Media Access Control identifiers that are used to distinguish one network adapter from another. Spoofing involves changing your hardware's MAC address from one setting to another. You can use spoofing to fix problems connecting to your ISP or to test your network firewall.To help Carter out, I put together this iPhone/iPod touch utility. It prompts you to enter a new MAC address and then runs ifconfig en0 lladdr address. No further error checking is done so use the tool with all due caution.

No comments: